Speed dating lyon dating in wales romance
The Royalty theatre opened there in 1879 and became famous for comedies, opera and plays.
It served as the Glasgow base of the D’Oyly Carte Opera but when Howard & Wyndham’s lease ran out in 1913, the Central Halls Company who owned the property ran the theatre as the Lyric Picture Palace.
Andrew’s House, a multi-storey office building, but the church itself remained in use until 1974.
On the left, beyond the intersection with West Nile Street, is the Baroque Empire Theatre which opened in 1897.
This shows the view looking west along Sauchiehall Street from the eastern end, at the intersection with Buchanan Street where the tram lines curve in from Parliamentary Road.
Armstrong’s Hotel is on the left and on the right with its magnificent tower and Grecian temple front is St. The tower was taken down in 1957-58 to make way for St.
After the war, the YMCA reopened the theatre as the Lyric Theatre.Unfortunately, the business was not a success and it closed in May 1923, whereupon another major renovation began.The facade was replaced with a more contemporary one and three new floors were built within the space formerly occupied by the auditorium.This picture shows the building when it was owned by the YMCA and it remained so until it was demolished in the late 1950’s. ) This mid-1920’s view of Sauchiehall Street looking west was taken near the Renfield Street intersection.In the foreground is the entrance to the Lyric Theatre located in the YMCA building and there are businesses all along the frontage, including a branch of A.Three years earlier, the name of the church had been changed to Renfield Street Church of Scotland and it continued as such until it closed in 1964 when the congregation became part of what it now known as Renfield St. The city where the Industrial Revolution began was hosting its second great International Exhibition and the recent electrification of the tramway system served to further showcase Glasgow’s achievements.The cars were resplendent in their colourful livery of cadmium orange side panels, ivory trim and plum/brown for the dashes.The Central Halls Building, housing the Royalty Theatre, is on the left of the picture and the magnificent tower of St.John’s Methodist Church can be seen further along the street.It was designed in the Moorish style by Thomas Baird and the facade was finished in square tiles set in a diagonal pattern.Patrons would enter through a large doorway framed by two pillars each side and topped with a grand arch containing three windows.